Sunday, October 30, 2005

Yoga ... and... Cabaret.

Surprised! Astonished? Don’t they seem as different as chalk and cheese and North pole and South Pole or isn’t talking about cabaret in Yoga’s context akin to finding a polar bear in Africa. One of my Aunts( an illustrious corporate executive’s wife) advised me to do a cabaret before starting Yoga when she came to know that I had a stiff body and hated doing Surya Namaskar( supposed to be warm up for yoga). Looking at my sheepish grin and somewhat dumfounded look, she even went on to demonstrate it while adding ,” The important thing is to get all your joints lose before a yoga session and nothing better than a cabaret of about three minutes to do that”. Being a yoga buff, she was probably right I thought. Looking at her twists and turns, I could not help but wonder how well she would have done in her youth. She is 63. Next morning, I tried it out and found to my amusement that it was actually effective if you do it seriously. The body does loosen up. In fact I improvised on it. A cold water shower also tends to loosen up the body somewhat. So I started doing a cabaret at the shower and it really produced a double effect. One can even jog under the shower with the hands going up and down instead of forwards and backwards if one does not like doing a cabaret. That is a pretty good alternative. If you do proper Yoga after that it can make you feel fresh and energetic for the rest of the day. Yoga can be quite boring and from that perspective too, this was a good discovery. One hears of bathroom singers and things like “ Dancing in the rain”. I never thought I would come so close to it and in this manner. Talk about the vagaries of existence.

20 Comments:

Blogger couchpotato said...

:lol:
Well, you sure have aunts who have pretty cool suggestions. ;)

10/30/2005 05:25:00 AM  
Blogger Unjustified Insanity~~ said...

hehe great dude :)
keep up the good work and thanx for stopping by my blog :D

10/30/2005 07:37:00 AM  
Blogger sheela_b said...

Thanks for stopping by my blogsite. Happy Diwali!

10/30/2005 09:25:00 AM  
Blogger shitij said...

hey great blog man........its really cool...keep going on.

10/30/2005 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger sebia said...

lol..good 1
last time i tried yoga..exactly after 1 min and 29 seconds,i ws thinking why im such a sadist and derving pleasure out of inflicting such pains on my dear fragile body,like the way they torture the wrst criminals,by twisting ,turning ,chopping thm in 2 those horrenduous machines...courtesy..AS SHOWN IN MOVIES:0 damn it ws a sheer torture,a sin against my SELF so i turned in 2 a chicken and ran away ....:0
enjoyed the post..menaged 2 chuckle in my painful state..i burnt my self 2day so ws all misty eyed and cmfrtably numb:0

10/30/2005 03:13:00 PM  
Blogger Venkat said...

You know, i tried some cold water bathing and it serious helps nasal congestion (which i had) and also helps your breathing.

as for surya namaskar... i do 13 a day in the morning.

10/30/2005 07:53:00 PM  
Blogger kd said...

Cool! aunt that is.

10/30/2005 09:18:00 PM  
Blogger hari said...

Hi Hiren,

Thanks for visiting my blog and the compliments. You have an interesting post here and indeed a refreshing way to start the day.

Will try it.

10/30/2005 10:54:00 PM  
Blogger Girl Interrupted said...

hehehe...
Enjoyed reading the post.....

10/31/2005 04:25:00 AM  
Blogger Tarun said...

Moving yourself or parts of body always loosen-up the muscles and so does the body. It helps before doing any exercise. That's why even players do light exercise before play. And that's true for yoga too. Yoga is nothing but the exercise of mind and body.

Thanks for visitng my blog, hope to see u often. :)

10/31/2005 08:23:00 AM  
Blogger Parth Anand said...

hahah...interesting...
i had experimented dancing in the shower before only to fall and sprain my leg...didn't know of those benefits before (loosening of the body)...will try it tomorrow ;)

10/31/2005 11:08:00 AM  
Blogger Kroopa Shah (Kr00pz) said...

I would encourage you to be a little cautious for I am sure you do not want to fall and break something if you dance too much in the shower!!!

10/31/2005 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger Id it is said...

Interesting!

10/31/2005 02:32:00 PM  
Blogger thennavan said...

Happy Diwali Hiren :-)

11/01/2005 02:14:00 PM  
Blogger AB said...

LOL. Cabaret in the shower...sure sounds fun:-) And Happy Diwali!

11/01/2005 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger dwaipayan said...

interesting reading!!! and i can't take a bath without dancing in the shower...but cabaret???

and by the way, thanks for visiting my blog

11/06/2005 07:45:00 PM  
Blogger Jithu said...

ha ha.. hilarious!

11/08/2005 01:03:00 AM  
Blogger Rohit Talwar said...

cool :D

11/08/2005 05:26:00 AM  
Blogger exasparater said...

cool suggestions..

11/12/2005 09:05:00 AM  
Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

Yoga is great stuff. I used to do it 5 times a week. I was in the best shape of my life. It is pure body and mind healing.

11/12/2005 08:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Blogroll Me!